We’re here to help you on your journey to compliance with the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS).
What is ESOS?
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory compliance scheme in the UK, derived from Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive. ESOS aims to reduce EU energy consumption by 20% by 2020. ESOS occurs in four-yearly phases and introduces regular energy audits that highlight energy savings for large businesses.
These audits must cover 90% of your organisational energy and require sign-off from a qualified ESOS Lead Assessor. Routes to compliance include ESOS audits, Display Energy Certificates (DECs), Green Deal energy assessments and ISO 50001 certification.
Who needs to comply with ESOS?
Public bodies are not affected. Large organisations that must comply are classified as those with:
- More than 250 employees or
- A turnover of more than €50,000,000 and an annual balance sheet total of more than €43,000,000
Regulating bodies – such as the Environment Agency (EA) in England and Wales – have the authority to apply civil penalties against those mandated companies not participating in ESOS or found to be non-compliant with its requirements. Fines are administered on a case-by-case basis but can be:
- An immediate fine of between £5,000 to £50,000
- Plus up to £500 per day for up to 80 working days
- Plus you could be ‘named and shamed
You’re at a greater risk of fines if you ignore an Enforcement Notice. The Phase 1 ESOS compliance deadline was back in 2015 – the EA were still issuing Enforcement Notices to bring companies into compliance long after that deadline.
ESOS is a real chance to improve the efficiency of your business and make significant cost savings. With the right partner, initial compliance activities can be effectively the very first investment on the path to energy savings and cost reduction. We can help you implement solutions identified in your ESOS recommendations report.
Start your compliance journey with EIC
If your business still needs to make a start with ESOS compliance, we’re here to help. Our dedicated team of ESOS Lead Assessors and highly trained Energy Auditors will work hard to help you comply as soon as possible, and support you in any conversations with the Environment Agency.
SAVE TIME AND HASSLE –
COMBINE YOUR ESOS AND SECR COMPLIANCE WITH EIC
Savvy businesses can save time and hassle by using our exclusive compliance package. As well as saving you time and hassle we also offer you a 10% discount if you sign up for a joint 5 year ESOS and Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) package.
Contact us on 01527 511 757
to find out more
- A qualified in-house team including ESOS Lead Assessors, ISO 50001 Lead Auditors, members of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE), the Register of Professional Energy Consultants (RPEC), and the Energy Institute (EI).
- Realise your savings potential. We can help you implement any recommended opportunities from your ESOS report, so you can benefit from identified energy savings.
- On average we found savings of three times the cost of compliance for our clients in ESOS Phase 1. In total, our team identified 2,829 individual energy efficiency opportunities, equivalent to 461GWh or £43.9m of annual savings across 1,148 individual audits.
- We can proudly say we have helped over 300 ESOS Phase 1 clients avoid combined penalties of over £48m*.
- Economies of scale – We can offer you a 10% discount if you sign up for a joint 5-year ESOS and Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) package.
*Based on maximum fines
Get started with ESOS 2 compliance