Carbon Reduction Commitment
Participating in the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) Energy Efficiency Scheme? You can avoid penalties with our help.
What is the Carbon Reduction Commitment energy efficiency scheme (CRC)?
The Carbon Reduction Commitment energy efficiency scheme is a UK government scheme designed to improve energy efficiency and cut CO2 emissions for high energy users.
It was introduced in April 2010 and is targeted at both private and public sector organisations. It is a mandatory measure and report scheme that requires the purchase of carbon allowances at a fixed price to cover organisation wide electricity and gas consumption. Failure to comply with the scheme carries a financial penalty.
The qualification criteria are stated as those organisations who between April 2012 and March 2013 had a half-hourly meter (HH) and used more than 6,000 MWh of electricity (otherwise known as 6 GWH or 6,000,000 kWh). However, some public bodies must take part in the CRC regardless of how much electricity they use. These are called mandated participants and they include all UK central government departments and devolved administrations.
The CRC operates in phases, with a qualification year preceding it for organisations to complete their registration with the Environment Agency – the regulator of the scheme. We are now in phase 2 that runs from 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2019. The scheme will cease at the end of this current phase, making way for Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting in April 2019. The qualification year for phase 2 was between 1 April 2012 and 31 March 2013.
In each compliance year, an organisation that has registered for CRC needs to do the following:
- Collate information about its energy supplies
- Submit a report about its energy supplies
- Buy and surrender allowances equal to the CO2 emissions it generated
- Tell the Environment Agency (EA) about changes to its organisation that could affect its registration (designated changes)
- Keep records about its energy supplies and organisation in an evidence pack
How EIC can help
We offer a number of services designed to ease the legislative burden the CRC brings. We can manage your Carbon Reduction Commitment compliance from beginning to end, helping you with CRC registration and finding the energy and admin data necessary for reporting.
We’ll provide annual footprint reports, identify anomalous data and/or consumption and correct it in year to avoid under/over payment on your allowance purchase. We’ll also complete your evidence pack, and produce actual and forecasted emissions reports for purchase requirements.
Our Data Analysts and Project Managing Consultants are UK based, experienced in their field and are knowledgeable points of contacts. We offer an actively managed serviced which aims to mitigate against the risk of non-compliance whilst reducing your cost of compliance through targeting reductions.
Why choose EIC?
We have a team of Data Analysts and Carbon Consultants who are able to offer you an all-encompassing service at the highest level. Our expert team will:
- Provide you with essential guidance and support to make life simpler for you
- Interpret the legislation for you to avoid confusion
- Inform you on any legislative changes that may affect your organisation
- Provide you with peace of mind and reassurance that your compliance is in safe hands
- Ease the burden the CRC scheme may bring, so you have more time to concentrate on your business
- Help you to avoid the penalties associated with the CRC for missed deadlines or inaccurate reporting
- Help you to become more energy efficient which can reduce your consumption, lower your carbon emissions, and save you money
Get in Touch Today
Talk to us today and learn more about how we can support your CRC compliance efforts.